Sausage Apple and Sage Strata
Bison Sausage Apple and Sage Strata
A warm, wonderful way to start the day. This egg dish has it all: bison sausage, tart apple, savory sage, and Provelone cheese. It smells great as it bakes, and eating it is even better.
- 1 lb bison breakfast sausage
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 tart cooking apples, cored and chopped
- 8 eggs
- 2 cup milk
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh sage leaves OR
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 12 oz firm-textured French or Italian bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup shredded Provolone cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 3-quart rectangular baking dish with cooking spray; set aside. Cook bison sausage and onion over medium heat in an extra-large skillet until bison sausage is brown. Add apple and cook for 5 more minutes. Drain off fat.
- Whisk eggs, milk, sage, and pepper in a large bowl.
- Place bread cubes in prepared baking dish. Top with bison sausage mixture and the cheese. Gently mix to evenly distribute ingredients. Pour egg mixture over bread mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, for 40 to 45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.