NY Strip with Charred Romaine
Charred Romaine Spears with Grilled Bison NY Strip Steak
The charred romaine adds a special touch to one of the finest cuts of bison. This a great dish for those who like all things BBQ. You’ve never had lettuce like this before!
- 20 oz Bison NY strip steaks
- ½ cup your favorite BBQ sauce
- 2 large heads of Romaine lettuce, cut in ½ lengthwise
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 bunch of radishes
- 2 cucumbers
- 1 avocado
- ½ medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 oz blue cheese, crumbled
- Combine BBQ sauce, olive oil, vinegar, garlic, and pepper. Whisk to combine, and set aside.
- Cut radishes into quarters.
- Cut cucumbers into 2 inch julienne strips.
- Remove pit and skin of avocado, then cut into thick slices or chunks.
- Thinly slice ½ of a medium red onion, and crumble the blue cheese.
Grilled Lettuce Spears and the NY Strip Steaks
- Preheat grill on high for 15-20 minutes.
- Brush the flat side of the romaine spears liberally with the BBQ vinaigrette, and place on the grill BBQ side down for 5-6 minutes. Remove immediately to prevent too much charring, and return to refrigerator to keep cold.
- Toss NY strips in 3 tablespoons olive oil, garlic, pepper and sea salt. Char on grill 4 minutes the first side, and 3 minutes on the second side, or until you can see the juices from the steak coming to the surface. Remove from the grill immediately, and place on a platter to rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing.
- Assemble the salad with the garnishes, and dress the romaine with additional BBQ vinaigrette, if needed. Slice the NY strips thinly just before serving. Enjoy!