Sliders with Blueberry BBQ
Grilled Bison Sliders with Blueberry Barbeque Sauce
Blueberry BBQ sauce, fresh goat’s-milk cheese, and marinated red onions bring out the best in these almost-bite-size bison burgers. An exclusive Chef Michael Kornick recipe.
- 1 lb ground bison (90% lean)
- 4 oz virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 4 tbsp minced parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 tbsp fresh goats milk cheese, room temperature
- 8 (2½ inch) diameter rolls or buns
- 2 oz butter
- .5 cup minced Spanish onion
- 2 tbsp minced jalapeno
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar for barbecue sauce
- 2 oz rice wine vinegar for onions
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tsp Tabasco
- 2 pt fresh blueberries
- 1 red onion
- 1 tbsp sugar
- In a mixing bowl, combine meat, oil, garlic and seasoning.
- Gently form 8, 2-ounce patties, approximately 1¼ inches thick and 2½ inches in diameter.
- Butter and toast buns.
- Grill burgers until desired temperature (for medium rare, about 3 minutes per side).
- To assemble, spread 1 tablespoon of goat cheese on bottom bun, followed by onions and burger. Drizzle blueberry barbeque sauce over burger and top with bun, serve.
Blueberry Barbeque Sauce
- Using a heavy saucepan, sweat onions and peppers in oil until tender (about 2-3 minutes).
- Add vinegar, sugar, mustard, ketchup and Tabasco, bring to a simmer.
- Add blueberries and cook for 5 minutes, cool at room temperature.
- Blend in a blender or food processor, strain and reserve.
Marinated Red Onions
- Julienne onion from stem to blossom, ⅛ inches thick.
- In a mixing bowl, dissolve sugar in vinegar.
- Add onions, season with salt and pepper. Let sit for 1 hour.