Bison Steak Panzanella Salad
Panzanella Salad with Bison Flank Steak
A crisp, colorful compliment to a thin-cut bison flank steak. Red and yellow peppers, cucumber and red onion combine with French bread redefine the ordinary steak sandwich.
- 1 lb bison flank steak
- 4 oz dried French bread, torn into bite-size pieces
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup chopped fresh mozzarella cheese
- 2 cup coarsely chopped seeded red or yellow tomatoes
- 1 cup seeded chopped cucumber
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- 3 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Place bread pieces in a shallow baking pan. Drizzle with the 2 tablespoons oil; toss gently to coat. Bake for 5 minutes or until toasted, stirring once or twice. Cool slightly; transfer to a very large bowl.
- Combine mozzarella cheese, tomatoes, cucumber, onion, and basil in a large bowl; set aside.
- For dressing, whisk together vinegar, the 3 tablespoons oil, the garlic, the 1/2 teaspoon salt, and the 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a small bowl. Pour dressing over the tomato mixture; toss to coat. Spoon the tomato mixture over the bread; toss to coat. Let stand for 15 minutes to allow the flavors to blend. Serve with grilled bison flank steak.
Bison Flank Steak
- Sprinkle bison flank steak with the 1 teaspoon salt and the 1/4 teaspoon pepper. For gas or charcoal grill, place steak on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium-high heat. Grill for 8 to 10 minutes or until desired doneness. Cover bison flank steak with foil and let stand for 5 minutes. Thinly slice steak across the grain.