Thai Bison Skirt Steak Salad
Thai Grilled Bison Skirt Steak Salad
A salad becomes satisfying high protein meal when topped with bison skirt steak. Flavor notes of lemon grass, chile and lime turn it into something special.
- 2 (8oz.) bison skirt steaks, with all visible fat removed
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic, granulated
- 4 cup red cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 limes, juiced
- 1 tsp fish sauce for salad
- 2 tbsp lemon grass, minced
- 2 Serrano Chile peppers, minced with seeds
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced
- 1/2 tbsp fish sauce for marinade
- 1/2 lime, juiced for marinade
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, chopped
- Combine cabbage, lime juice, and fish sauce, and toss well to coat.
- Place in refrigerator to keep cool while you are preparing the strip steaks.
- Preheat grill to high for 5-10 minutes.
- Coat steaks with olive oil and season liberally with pepper and garlic on both sides.
- Cook over a charcoal or gas grill for 5 minutes on first side, and 3 minutes on second side.
- Let steaks rest for 10 minutes, then slice thinly against the grain of the meat.
- Combine lemon grass, chilies, shallots, green onions, fish sauce, lime juice, cilantro, and mint.
- Add thinly sliced bison. Toss to coat.
- Drain cabbage, place on platter, and top with marinated bison steak.
- Note: Marinade can be prepared up to one day ahead, or while the steaks are resting.