Thai Grilled Bison Skirt Steak Salad
A salad becomes satisfying high protein meal when topped with bison skirt steak. Flavor notes of lemon grass, chile and lime turn it into something special.
- 2 (8oz.) bison skirt steaks, with all visible fat removed
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic, granulated
- 4 cup red cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 limes, juiced
- 1 tsp fish sauce for salad
- 2 tbsp lemon grass, minced
- 2 Serrano Chile peppers, minced with seeds
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced
- 1/2 tbsp fish sauce for marinade
- 1/2 lime, juiced for marinade
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, chopped
Combine cabbage, lime juice, and fish sauce, and toss well to coat.
Place in refrigerator to keep cool while you are preparing the strip steaks.
Preheat grill to high for 5-10 minutes.
Coat steaks with olive oil and season liberally with pepper and garlic on both sides.
Cook over a charcoal or gas grill for 5 minutes on first side, and 3 minutes on second side.
Let steaks rest for 10 minutes, then slice thinly against the grain of the meat.
Combine lemon grass, chilies, shallots, green onions, fish sauce, lime juice, cilantro, and mint.
Add thinly sliced bison. Toss to coat.
Drain cabbage, place on platter, and top with marinated bison steak.
Note: Marinade can be prepared up to one day ahead, or while the steaks are resting.